Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Breath of Fresh Air

MAY 26th

Monday

Oh Yeah!!!! Last night we went back to the NICU to visit Aleia and she has been taken off her nasal canulla. That means she is breathing all on her own with no help. She is just breathing room air. It was so nice to see her little face with only one little feeding tube in the way. Also earlier yesterday she got about half a feeding through a bottle nipple. That is a great thing. That means that she is working on her coordination and moving forward. She is still under her spotlights and disco blankets but her levels were decreasing since yesterday. So that is good news too.

Tami and I went to the NICU at St Joseph’s yesterday afternoon also. It is good, just not what we are used to at the Med. The same level of care is available and the equipment is exactly the same. The only major differences are the commute to get there ( 2 min vs. about 15-20min) and the visitation hours (24/7 at Med not so much at St Jo’s) and lastly the unit itself is smaller and older at St Jo’s. So this morning I will begin the discussions (or battles) with the insurance company. We will see how that goes.

I have not been saying much about Ashlynn, but I will spend some time on her now. She is unbelievably excited. She has wanted to get in the NICU since day one. But just last Tuesday, she got a round of immunization shots. So they are not letting her in the NICU until 7-10 after those shots. The main reason is she got a chicken pox one that is an active culture so it could cause her to be contagious and well that is not good for anyone in the NICU. We totally understand the reasoning, but trying to keep Ashlynn out of there and not asking constantly when she can go in and see her sister is quite the chore. She is counting down the “sleeps” until she gets to go in and visit her sister. And she was feeling a little neglected by her Mom and Dad, but now that we are home, things are better.

Also one other little funny story now that it can be funny. I had been sleeping with ear plugs since Tami has been snoring quite a bit during her pregnancy. So Thursday night when I went to bed at 1 am, I thought I would put them in so I could at least get some good sleep even though it was going to be short. Little did I know how short! So around 4am Tami get out of bed and discovers the bleeding. She is yelling at me from the bathroom that I need to get up and we need to go to the hospital. Of course she tells me this later since I do not respond at all. She finally comes into the room and wakes me up. I still can’t hear her that well and I just think she is waking me up for work the next day. I was in a very deep sleep apparently. So I finally take the ear plugs out and she is yelling at me, “Either call 911 or take me to the hospital!! We need to go now!!!” So I finally comprehend the situation and get moving. So we jumped into the car and went to the closet hospital. It’s amusing now…but at the time I was feeling some major guilt for those ear plugs…….


Photos from last night.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

She is absolutely beautiful! Gran and Grannie would be so proud! Uncle Arturo and Aunt Betty send their love and prayers. We are praying for quick recovery for you all.

Love and Prayers,
Carissa Fe

ShareThis